CHICAGO, ILLINOIS



Welcome to the second part of my USA posts. If you couldn't tell from the title this post is all about my short stay in Chicago. To begin with the only reason I ended up going to Chicago was due to it being cheaper to get flights from New York to Chicago and then Chicago to Los Angeles, rather than a direct flight. 


Sarah and I decided to spend a few days in Chicago to take in the sights while we were going to have to stop there anyway. I'm so glad that we made this decision because I loved Chicago even more than New York!

We were very fortunate with the weather for the whole trip and we even packed jeans for Chicago given that it is known as the 'windy city'. The weather was anything but windy. It was so hot in Chicago that at one point we had to spend a while at the Crown Fountain in Millenium Park just to cool down. I didn't quite go as far as putting my whole body under the fountain unlike Sarah (in a white shirt, maybe not her best idea), but I did spend a while splashing around like a child and running away from wasps. 

In fact, one of the funniest moments of our whole trip happened at this fountain. I would write more about it, but you really had to be there. 



The architecture in Chicago is so mesmerising, especially along the river walk. We were lucky enough to get an Airbnb not far from the river so we were within walking distance. I think it was the point of getting to the river for the first time when Sarah and I fell in love with Chicago. Even the blue/green hue of the river was like something I hadn't seen before. It's definitely hugely different from the Mersey! It was interesting to learn the reasons why the river was so clean and blue, even if that did mean sitting on a city bus tour for a good few hours.






One of the highlights of my time in Chicago was visiting the John Hancock Center. We did initially aim to do the 'Tilt' at the top of the Center but unluckily for us it was closed for the few days we were there. Although we weren't too disappointed, just look at the view!

I found it so hard to believe that this was Lake Michigan, it looked more like a sea somewhere in the Caribbean. 





A visit to Chicago wouldn't be complete without visiting Cloud Gate (the giant bean). It was quite difficult to get a clear photograph of Cloud Gate due to the large number of people that surrounded it, but it was pretty cool. 



This is the Buckingham Fountain. We had to make sure that we saw the light show at the fountain. This actually resulted in us sprinting through the streets of Chicago trying to catch a bus that would take us back to our Airbnb. We didn't end up making it in time for the bus and had to walk through some very dark and scary streets, but hey, we made it back alive! 


I was really pleasantly surprised by short stay in Chicago, considering that it wasn't somewhere that we had originally considered visiting. I would love to go back and would certainly recommending visiting for anyone that is thinking about it!

Thanks for reading

Stacy

0 comments:

Post a Comment