STOCKHOLM,SWEDEN


Now that I have graduated from University and I have started to work in a full-time job it can be very difficult to see friends. Particularly the friends that I made at University that live in completely different cities. Although some live slightly,  hectic schedules often get in the way of any plans to spend time together. So it's always a great opportunity to get everyone back together again to go on a weekend break away.


The first trip that we went on was to Budapest in January 2016 (I will blog about this also), so this time we visited Stockholm, Sweden. I've always wanted to visit Scandinavia as the style and culture have always appealed to me. I've been lucky enough to visit Copenhagen, Denmark also last year and I really enjoyed that trip so I was looking forward to returning to Scandinavia. 

We visited Stockholm from 11th November - 14th November as a long weekend away. We booked our flights with Norweigan Airlines, which was a great airline to fly with. I much preferred this to previous flights with Ryan Air and EasyJet. Having wifi on the plane really made a difference as it meant I could watch Youtube videos on the flight to pass the time. 


As we landed in Stockholm I realised just how snowy it was and I was really regretting my decision not to take thermal layers on the trip. As you'll see from my pictures the snow was so thick and a lot of it had turned into a sheet of ice on the roads. This made getting around quite difficult, but somehow we managed without anyone falling over!

Due to the low temperatures, I didn't quite get to wear all of the clothes that I intended to on the trip as the majority of the time I was throwing on as many layers as possible and hoping for the best. This resulted in me looking more like a fat snowman rather than Scandinavian chic.

On the first day of our trip, we landed quite late in the evening. It left us just enough time to find our hotel, go out for food and do a little exploring. On our first night we visited a restaurant called Koh Phangan in Södermalm. This was a really funky Thai themed restaurant with vivid neon lights. It was very dark inside so I didn't get to take a photograph of the food that I ordered. I had a fried rice dish, that I can't quite remember the name of but it was so tasty. 



On the second day of our trip we tried to make the most of our time by seeing as many sights as possible. The day consisted mainly of exploring Gamla Stan, viewing museums and visiting the Royal Palace. It was quite difficult trying to get around in all of the snow. There was one set of stairs in particular that posed a real challenge. All of the steps had frozen over with ice so they were super slippy. 





Visiting Gamla Stan was one of my favourite parts of the trip as I loved the architecture of the old buildings. They really were beautiful and with snow surrounding them, they couldn't have looked more picturesque. 



On the second day we decided to take a tour of the underground rail system in Stockholm. Some of the stations in Stockholm are designed with different themes and look like really cool caves. This was really interesting and it reminded of just how boring our ril systems are in the UK.




After the tour of the stations and a quick stop at Sephora (couldn't resist), we visited a cute little cafe to have lunch. We didn't really get too much to eat at the cafe as we planned to visit a Viking themed restaurant later on in the evening. 



The best part of this trip for me was getting to spend time with my favourite people. Now that all of my friends have moved on from University and some are in full-time jobs (including myself) and others moved on to further their education, it really is so difficult to arrange the time to see each other. The best part about this trip was being able to catch up with everyone and spend time with them as though we hadn't just spent 3 or 4 months apart. 

Now I can't wait for the next trip!




0 comments:

Post a Comment